What Size Rug Under A Queen Bed?
If you have a hardwood floor or ugly carpet in your bedroom, a great quick fix is to add an area rug to the space under your bed. However, the rug size that you choose will depend on the size of your bed. So, what size of rug would fit best under a queen bed?
A 6′ x 9′ area rug is the best rug size to lay under your queen bed. This provides ample room for both your bed and nightstands to fit on the rug. However, if you have a smaller bedroom, a 5′ x 7′ or 5′ x 8′ rug would be the better choice to go under your queen bed.
If you’ve been debating on getting a rug to sit under your bed, size really does matter. Below we discuss the various sizes and help you choose which is most ideal for your circumstances. Let’s get started!
Choosing the Right Size of Rug for a Queen Bed
Your bedroom should be at least 10 feet by 10 feet in order to fit a queen bed into it, with enough walking space on all three sides of the bed. The size of the area rug put beneath your bed will be determined by the size and direction of your room.
Beds are usually situated perpendicular to area rugs, which means the rug should run horizontally across the room. You should also keep your rug at least six inches, but no more than two feet, away from your bedroom walls.
Of course, there are differences—some bedrooms are smaller, while others are larger—but the following rug sizes can help:
- 4′ X 6′: These area rugs are often regarded as too small for a queen bed. However, if you have two smaller rugs that you like, layer them or place one on either side under the bed.
- 5′ x 7′ or 5′ x 8′: One of these rugs could work under a queen bed in a small bedroom. Keep in mind that this is the smallest size that you should use under a queen-sized bed, and you won’t be able to put your nightstands on it.
- 6′ x 9′: This rug is a nice size to put under a queen bed in a normal-sized bedroom. Although you won’t be able to lay your nightstands on the rug, each side of the bed will have around 14 inches of rug underfoot.
What’s the Largest Rug That Can Go Under a Queen Bed?
In an average-sized bedroom, a rug spanning 7′ by 10′ is typically the largest rug you’ll use under a queen bed. This will provide you with 20 inches of cushion on either side.
Consider putting carpets measuring 8′ x 10′ or 9′ x 12′ under your bed if your bedroom is larger. Both of these arrangements allow you to put your nightstands and a bench or chair at the foot of the bed on the carpeting.
You could also consider laying runners or sheepskins on either side of your bed, or at the foot of your bed, if your bedroom is cramped. They’ll bring warmth and coziness without taking up too much room on the floor.
What to Consider When Placing a Rug Under a Queen Bed
You should first discover the crucial elements of your room, which will entail taking some measurements, before deciding on a rug size for your queen bed. The following are some of the most important factors:
- Room size: You don’t want to pick a rug that is too big for your space, especially if it is a little one. You’ll have more alternatives for greater rug sizes in larger rooms.
- Number of nightstands: If you have a smaller room and want to get rid of one or two nightstands, you can usually get away with a narrower rug that isn’t symmetrical with the nightstands.
- Bed type: Determine whether your bed’s dimensions are standard or non-standard. Beds with non-standard dimensions are often either longer or broader than regular beds, affecting the rug size that best fits.
- Rug Placement: Rugs are usually positioned perpendicular to the bed, which means that the rug’s length is measured against the width of your bed. The longer the rug, the more space you’ll have at the edges of your beds to lay your feet down comfortably. The width of your rug is measured against the length of your bed in this perpendicular positioning. Rugs that are wider might be placed beneath your bed and nightstands.
Comparing Rug Sizes Under Queen Bed
The numerous sizes of area rugs that can be used underneath a queen bed are listed below, along with which sizes perform best in which situations and the various placement styles for each area rug size.
The size you choose will be determined by the size of your furniture, the size of your space, the queen bed dimensions (standard vs. non-standard), and the style of positioning.
|Rug Size||Bedroom Size||Number of Nightstands||Ideal Rug Placement|
|4′ x 6′||Small||2||Centered Under|
|5′ x 7′||Small||0 – 2||Halfway Under|
|5′ x 8′||Small||0 – 2||Halfway Under|
|6′ x 9′||Standard||2||Halfway Under|
|7′ x 10′||Standard||2||Halfway Under|
|8′ x 10′||Large||2||Centered or Half|
|9′ x 12′||Large||3||Centered Under|
Will a 4×6 Rug Fit Under a Queen Bed?
A 4 foot wide by 6-foot long area rug is usually too tiny to fit under a queen bed. You can put two 4 x 6 rugs under a queen bed if you locate a pair you like in this size. This arrangement would take up more room than a single 9 x 12 rug, which could be advantageous in some situations.
Will a 5×7 Rug Fit Under a Queen Bed?
An area rug measuring 5 feet wide by 7 feet long is the smallest rug that can fit under a queen bed alone, albeit it isn’t ideal. When it comes to arranging a small bedroom, this could be a reasonable choice, especially if you decide to eliminate one (or both) of your nightstands. Because of its shorter length, a 5 x 7 rug would look better without nightstands in many circumstances.
Would a 5 x 8 Rug Look Good Under a Queen Bed?
If you have a tiny room and want to maintain both nightstands, a 5 x 8 area rug can be a smart alternative because the length of the 5 x 8 rug will be more symmetrical when put in front of the nightstands. In front of your nightstands, you’ll need to arrange the rug to have equal amounts on both sides of the bed.
Would A 6 x 9 Fit Under a Queen Bed?
A 6 x 9 rug may be an acceptable rug size to use with a queen bed if you have a standard-sized room. It provides a nice carpeted landing on both sides of the bed, but it does not extend beneath the bedside tables.
If you choose a broader non-standard queen-size bed, such as an Olympic queen, an area rug measuring 6 feet wide by 9 feet long may be the ideal option.
Will a 7 x 10 Look Good Under a Queen Bed?
In a normal room, a rug that is 7 feet wide by 10 feet long might be the largest rug you’ll want to put under a queen-sized bed.
The 7 x 10 rug’s 10 feet of length will provide plenty of space close to your bed for increased comfort. This is also an excellent alternative for rooms with a lot of space.
Is an 8 x 10 Too Big to Go Under a Queen Bed?
Consider putting a somewhat larger rug under your bed if you have a bigger room, such as an 8′ x 10′ rug. You have two positioning options: either place the rug under both nightstands and the bed or place it approximately a fourth of the way down from the head of the bed. If you have a longer California queen bed or furnishings at the foot of your bed, the latter option is ideal.
Is a 9 x 12 Too Big to Go Under a Queen Bed?
A rug that is 9 feet wide by 12 feet long will serve as an anchor for your bed and nightstands if you like a larger rug. A 9 x 12 area rug provides greater coverage at the sides and end of the bed (and is especially useful for hiding unappealing flooring).
Would a Rug Larger Than 9 x 12 Look Good Under a Queen Bed?
You can try to place a larger rug underneath a queen bed if you have a larger non-standard bed, such as a California queen or an Olympic queen, as well as a large bedroom, but you shouldn’t need to.
In this scenario, you might go for additional length at the foot of your bed by choosing a rug that is no more than 12 feet long but has a width of 10 feet or more. This will give you more rug space past the foot of your bed.
Heather is a passionate writer who loves anything DIY. Growing up, she learned everything from home repairs to design, and wants to share her tips with you. When she's not writing, she's usually hiking or searching for her next DIY project.
More by Heather Robbins