Should You Tip Wayfair Delivery Crews?
If you are even a smidgen into the world of interior design, you already know how popular Wayfair is. It’s the hip go-to place for everything from beds, to sofas, to smaller appliances like blenders. Most people have ordered at least one item off Wayfair. When it comes, things get a bit awkward. Figuring out whether you need to tip is a pain.
Most items on Wayfair are shipped by a postal company or a courier, so there is no need to tip them. If you choose a “real” delivery option that involves curbside or in-home delivery, then you will have to pay a fee in order for the delivery to happen. Tipping these drivers is suggested since they only get a portion of the fee.
While Wayfair does have a lot of different ways to ship and send stuff to you, it’s best to know what you’re getting into. Let’s talk about it.
What Does Wayfair Delivery Include?
Wayfair has a number of different delivery options. What’s available depends on the items you ordered and your location. These are the most common:
- Standard Shipping. This would involve using the UPS or FedEx to ship items to you. It can be done for orders over $35 for free. This option is only available for orders under 150 pounds.
- Curbside Pickup. This is one of the more affordable live deliveries. You can unload it off the truck, or Wayfair can unload.
- Backyard Delivery. Some areas also offer backyard pickup. This is great for patio furniture.
- In-Room Delivery. If you are willing to spend extra, Wayfair delivery crews will drop off your furniture into the room of your choice,
- Basic Front Door Drop Off. Contrary to popular belief, you do not have to be here for this type of delivery. It’s basically like courier service.
- Inside Home Front Door Drop Off. This is a good way to ensure that you have your item and that you can move it.
- In-Room Delivery And Assembly. This is the Wayfair equivalent of “white glove.” This gives you all the service you need to enjoy your furniture beautifully.
How Much Does Delivery Cost?
If you are not going the shipping route, then you are going to have to pay for delivery. Unfortunately, we can’t give an accurate estimate of delivery fees since they can vary widely depending on where you live and what you ordered. We have seen delivery estimates between $59 to $269 or more depending on the type of delivery.
Are There Any Limits On Deliveries?
If you live in a high rise building, you need to be aware that Wayfair delivery won’t always go up your stairs. The company maxes out their carrying after two flights of stairs—or 30 stair steps total. Make sure that you are on the first two floors before you order in-room delivery.
How Does Wayfair Delivery Work?
Wayfair’s delivery system is complex and what you can get will vary based on your area. However, we can offer a little bit of advice. Here is what you should know:
- You will have to choose the delivery method when you order your furniture. When you type in your address, the delivery options and corresponding prices will be displayed. You can usually choose from at least two to three different options, if not more.
- Once you pay for your item, you will get to pick out the delivery details available to you. In many cases, you will be able to pick your day and time. However, this isn’t always doable. Either way, the delivery information will be relayed to you as well as the specific requirements for your end of the deal.
- Wayfair will hire a third-party company to handle your delivery. This is done on their end. You do not have to worry about this part. The third-party company will then add additional details to your account. In most cases, you will get a confirmation letter with information that lets you track your delivery, plus an estimated delivery date and time.
- The day of the delivery, you get to enjoy your new furniture. It will be delivered per your pre-arranged agreement. If you got assembly service, you just have to kick back and relax while your furniture is put together.
How Fast Is Wayfair Delivery?
This depends on the way you’re getting it delivered. Shipping-wise, Wayfair offers 2-day shipping in most parts of the country. However, it can take up to 5 to 10 business days for certain packages. In terms of delivery, most of the deliveries done by Wayfair take approximately a week.
If time is an issue for you, it’s best to discuss this matter with customer care first. You should be able to find out more details there.
Are All Delivery Options Available To You?
Here’s the thing: Wayfair’s delivery options aren’t always available to parts of the country. In most major cities, you should be able to get the type of delivery you want at a fairly speedy pace. However, if you live in the middle of the country in a place like Alaska, you might not have the same options available to you.
When Should You Tip Wayfair Delivery Staff?
Wayfair delivery staff are not employed directly by the company, nor do they receive the entire delivery fee that you paid. As a result, it’s hard to tell if they are earning a living wage. Due to this simple matter, we strongly encourage people to tip their delivery crew.
How Much Should You Tip Wayfair Delivery Crews?
Most people agree that a fairly low tip is okay. $5 to $10 is a good tip for people who drop off a piece of furniture at your door, curb, or backyard. If you live upstairs or if you ordered assembly, then you should consider tipping more—like $15 to $20.
If you live in an area that is very remote or have weather that is extremely inclement, adding an extra $5 to the tip may be a good idea. After all, driving in the snow isn’t easy and neither is trying to make all your deliveries in under eight hours.
When Does It Not Make Sense To Tip Wayfair Delivery Crews?
While Wayfair is known for being a reliable service, there are some occasions where you should not tip their crews. These include the following:
- The delivery did not go according to plan. Did they drop it off by the curb when you had in-room delivery? Or worse, did they just leave it outside your apartment on 43rd street in Manhattan without even alerting you, leaving it at the mercy of others? No tip should be given there.
- Your delivery arrived very late. It may not be the same hour, but if it isn’t the same day, you don’t need to tip the guys.
- The service ended up damaging the item or the furniture that’s already in your house. Most delivery crews have insurance for this. Even so, it’s a bummer and you shouldn’t have to tip crews that just wrecked a carpet or knocked over a vase.
- The crew did something egregiously wrong or behaved in a way that was very out of line. Things like aggressively demanding a tip, making off-color remarks about you or your home, or stealing from you would make this list. If anything like this happens to you, we strongly encourage telling Wayfair. Oh, and if things got scary, it may also be a good idea to get a police report.
Is Wayfair Delivery Worth It?
In most cases, Wayfair’s delivery system is worth it. Most people agree that the customer service is great, that they are fairly prompt, and that tracking your delivery isn’t that hard to do. While it may be more on the expensive side at times, the reviews say it all. It’s pretty good.
Is Wayfair delivery expensive?
According to most people who have ordered from Wayfair, delivery fees are definitely above average in many parts of the country. However, the rates can vary from town to town. It’s best to do a comparison with other stores before you order if you are on a deeply difficult budget.
Why is my Wayfair shipment so late?
In recent years, there have been multiple problems with supply chain and shipping holdups. As a result of the current climate in supply chains and the problems that can arise with weather, it can be difficult to accurately predict the time of a package’s arrival.If things get very late, the best thing you can do is call Wayfair to get a handle on tracking or ask for a refund. In most situations, they are happy to do something to make your experience better.
Which has faster delivery, Wayfair or Amazon?
Generally speaking, Amazon’s Prime delivery tends to be faster by several days. In some cases, you might even be able to get same-day delivery. Wayfair is still trying to work out a same-day solution, though their furniture selection tends to be better as a whole.
Ossiana Tepfenhart is an expert writer, focusing on interior design and general home tips. Writing is her life, and it's what she does best. Her interests include art and real estate investments.
More by Ossiana Tepfenhart