How To Change Your ADT Alarm Code (Quickly & Easily!)
ADT is a fantastic company that’s been around for over 140 years. They have the best home security monitoring available on the market and allow you to change and select different codes. But what happens if you need to change the code? Do you know how?
Press the * key, enter your 4 digit master code, and enter number 40. Now, enter the new master code for your ADT system and press * to confirm it. Enter your new ADT alarm code again to test and make sure that it is working.
This article will tell you how to change both your master code and your standard access code. It’s best if you reset both of these at the same time. Let’s get started, shall we?
ADT Alarm Codes
ADT security systems will use more than one kind of security or access code to allows users to control and operate the system. Your system will typically have a:
- Master access code
- Standard or user access code
- Duress code
Let us consider the function of each one.
Master Access Code
The master access code provides administrator-level access to the system. With this code, it is possible to activate or deactivate the system. It also allows you to edit, delete or add user or other access codes, or change the entire system’s settings. This code must remain secure, so ensure it is only shared with those who specifically need to access the system. Change it regularly, as required. Reasons to change the code include:
- You want to remove access to the system from specific people.
These may include house, child, or pet sitters who no longer need to enter your home.
- You’ve lost track of the people who have the code.
- A home, child, or pet sitter no longer needs access to this code.
To change the access code, you need to know what it is. If you can’t remember or have lost it, ADT Customer Support will be able to assist in recovering it or providing a new one. For obvious security reasons, you will be asked to provide your personal data and system identification details to verify that you are the system owner and authorized to access it.
Change Master Code
- Enter your current master code. Start by pressing the star
- key, followed by the number 5 on the keypad. Then enter your current master code. After this, the red ‘Armed’ light will come on, and the yellow system light will flash. If this doesn’t happen, start again as you may have entered the code incorrectly.
- Reset the master code. Press the number 40 on the keypad ( according to your system’s model) to reset the master code.
- Enter your new code. Enter a new four- or six-digit master code, depending on the system. After entering the new numbers, use the # key to confirm that you’ve completed the reprogramming.
- Test to make sure that it works. Carry out a test using the new master access code.
Changing User Codes
- Initiate the process. Using the keypad controls, start by pressing press the star key, followed by the number 5. This will initiate the reprogramming process.
- Enter in your master code. Key in your four- or six-digit master code number, according to your model.
- Select a new code and enter it into the system. Select the specific user access code you are changing by entering the relevant number between 01 and 32. Next, simply add a new four- or six-digit code. Press the # key to complete the process.
- Make sure that the new code works. Test the new user code to confirm that it activates or deactivates the system correctly.
ADT Pulse Portal Systems
Unless your system is one that updates itself automatically, once you have changed the Master Code on your ADT Pulse Portal, it will also need to be changed manually using the keypad on your control panel.
- Log into the portal. Log on to the Pulse Portal System at ADTPulse.com, using the username and password you created. Press the System tab on the Control Panel display on the screen.
- Change your master code through the portal. Click ‘Security Panel’ using your mouse, and select the Change Master Code option. Next, you will type the new code in the box that appears on a pop-up screen and press save.
Default Duress Codes
The Default Duress codes are typically the numbers 33 or 34, although some ADT models may use other duress codes – check your operator manual. You can press them in an emergency to activate the alarm immediately. As these codes are an integral part of the ADT system, you cannot change them. They are inactive when the system is in programming mode.
Erasing A Code
You can easily erase any code other than the Master Access Code. Press the star (*) key can be erased, followed by the number 5 and your master code.
Enter the user code identifier, which is a number between 01 and 32. Then press the star key to erase the code, followed by the # key to confirm the change. It’s important to realize that it’s not possible to erase a Master Access code in this way – it can only be reset.
Add A Secondary Code
If you provide a secondary code to others, it will mean that you won’t have to change your Master Access code so often. To help them memorize their code, allow your children or employees to choose their own unique 4-digit code.
To add it, type your Master Access code, followed by ‘803′, then the code you are adding. To add further secondary codes, use 804 in place of 803, then 805, 806, etc.
Remove A Secondary Code
Use the same procedure as above by typing in the Master Code’ 803′. Wait a few seconds until you hear a beep. If 03 is the user number and you want to remove user number 04, replace the 3 with a 4.
Activating The Alarm System
If you haven’t been using your system for a while and want to arm it, there are various ways to do it.
- The first option is to press the AWAY or STAY button on your keychain remote.
- The second method is to press and hold the AWAY or STAY button on your keypad.
- The third way is to type in the code and push AWAY or STAY afterward.
Deactivate The System
Simply press the OFF button on your keychain remote or use your keypad by typing in your code and pressing OFF on the keypad.
What If You Don’t Want The Motion Detection On?
To do this, activate the system in the STAY mode. This typically means that the system has armed just the doors and windows. If the motion detector is armed while in the STAY mode, you’ll need to bypass it.
What To Do If Your System Shows ‘FC’
If your ADT security system shows ‘FC,’ this indicates that it is not communicating correctly. ‘FC’ means: ‘Failed Communication.’ It is a fairly common issue with ADT security systems. Luckily, it’s a relatively minor issue that you can probably correct yourself, without the need to contact ADT support.
Start by entering your code, followed by ‘5’. You can reset the FC code by following these three easy steps.
- Press the reset button. Find and press the reset button on your ADT alarm keypad, holding it down for about two seconds.
- Use the alternate method if the reset button doesn’t work. Occasionally, you’ll find that the reset button does not work. In this case, press the star ‘*’ button, followed by ‘7’, and then by ‘2.’
- Restart the system. If Steps 1 and 2 have worked correctly, the alarm system will reset itself before closing down. Wait a few seconds, then restart.
If neither of these methods corrects the issue, contact your local ADT customer service representative for assistance. They’re the experts and will be happy to help you resolve any problems.
How Much Does It Cost To Install ADT In Your Home?
The cost of the ADT security system depends on precisely the type of equipment you purchase. However, the company has packages that start around $599, and this includes everything you need to detect an intruder. Or, you can choose high-tiered packages that include additional benefits and monitoring.
The per month cost of ADT runs anywhere from $45.99 per month to $57.99 per month. The installation cost comes in around $99, but this can be higher if you choose a package with more equipment. They require that you sign a 12-month contract, but the length of time depends on the equipment and package you choose.
Is ADT Worth The Price?
ADT is considered one of the best security systems for your home available on the market. ADT is better than many of their competitors due to their affordability and the coverage they provide with their security systems. They have been around for more than 140 years and have the best guarantees.
Some of the guarantees you can expect when choosing ADT are the $500 theft protection and the no-risk return that covered you for six months. You can’t find this deal anywhere else. The downside is that they have the highest start-up costs and monthly fees due to their fantastic reputation.
Our Final Take
ADT has been around for over a century, making it the leading home security company. However, the best protection comes from your access codes. By taking the time to change your codes frequently, you decrease the risk of the code being in someone’s hands that it shouldn’t. And, not to mention, you increase the safety of your home.
Heather is a passionate writer who loves anything DIY. Growing up, she learned everything from home repairs to design, and wants to share her tips with you. When she's not writing, she's usually hiking or searching for her next DIY project.
More by Heather Robbins