How To Remove The Back Of A Catnapper Recliner (Do This!)
Recliners make for a highly comfortable and enjoyable piece of furniture. Whether it is in a living room, gaming space, or library, it is versatile enough to fit anywhere that you want. Most of all, it provides a relaxing place to sit and spend your time.
For a variety of reasons, there may be the need to take the back off. It can be easier to move without having to angle the back through doorways or narrow spaces. But how do you take it off? Give yourself plenty of room, remove the fabric, and remove the metal locking tabs that hold the back into place. You can then fold up or remove the backing entirely so that transporting the chair becomes easier.
5 Steps to Remove the Back Off a Catnapper Recliner
Step 1: Give Yourself Space to Work
This is a good rule for just about anything: give yourself space to work. The tighter the space, the more difficult it will be to achieve your goal. Move the recliner into a more open space so you have ample room to maneuver.
When removing the back, in particular, you will probably need to move the chair around, even rolling the recliner onto its front. The more space that you give yourself, the easier it will be to take the back off and move on to the next step.
Step 2: Remove the Fabric
Depending on your model of catnapper recliner, there may be some kind of fabric tape holding the leather or fabric in place. Unsnap or remove that tape. Keep it in a Ziploc bag or off to the side for now, but don’t lose it.
Next, remove the fabric on the back of the chair. Carefully do so to avoid potential rips and tears. You won’t need to remove the fabric completely, just pull it away from the areas of the chair that house the reclining mechanism. Taking off the fabric backing entirely will create more problems for you that will need to be resolved before using the chair again.
Step 3: Look for the Metal Tabs
Most recliners in general have a pair of metal tabs in the back. Those metal tabs are what hold the backing in place, allowing it to recline or go back in without the back falling off completely. If you don’t see the tabs, don’t worry, there’s another method.
Should no tabs be visible, look for the thumbscrews. The thumbscrews should be located at the very lowest point of the recliner. When in doubt, look for the recliner’s arm and you should find the thumb screws there.
Step 4: Remove the Tabs or Thumbscrews
Should your recliner have the metal locking tabs, removing them is pretty easy. All you need to do is hold the tab and press forward firmly. Pull the bottom of the recliner upwards towards you as you go. This unlocks the mechanism safely and securely.
Should you have thumbscrews, you will need either a standard slotted screwdriver or a flat-head screwdriver. When you find the screws, use the tool to turn them counterclockwise. When they have been removed, put them in a safe location (with the fabric tape is fine)
Step 5: Pull up the Back
With either the metal tabs or thumb screws properly removed, you should now be able to remove the back of the chair. All you need to do is pull upwards slowly but securely. You can then fold the back onto the seat of the recliner to make it more compact or remove it entirely.
Should you experience any difficulties in getting the back away from the brackets, try rocking it. Do so slowly; you want to reduce the amount of friction experienced during this process. Friction could wear the brackets or could potentially wear down/rip the fabric.
How Do I Put the Back on my Catnapper Recliner?
When you are finished moving or making adjustments to your recliner, it is time to put everything back together again. As is the case with just about anything else, you can simply trace your steps backward to install properly. But if you can’t remember how you took it apart, here’s an easy walkthrough of the re-installation process.
- Position the brackets. Lift the back of your recliner, positioning the brackets of the back so that they are just over the brackets on the lower half of the recliner. This might take a little time and patience to get them lined up properly, so don’t get frustrated.
- Slid the back into place. When the brackets are aligned properly, you should be able to position the back properly as well. If it doesn’t fit right or seems to resist sliding into place, pop the back-off and try re-aligning everything again.
- Replace the screws/levers/tabs. Whatever your specific model has – screws, fixing tabs, or adjusting levers – add those back in and make sure that they are secured snugly. The back of the chair should be secured so that it can be used properly without falling apart when reclined.
Who Manufactures the Line of Catnapper Furniture?
The Jackson Furniture company manufactures the line of Catnapper recliners. They have been in the furniture business dating back to 1933 and has been family-owned since its inception. Their line of furniture is available through a wide array of furniture dealers in the United States.
Primarily, their furniture can be found through Ashley Furniture Home Stores. Ashley Furniture is a retailer that carries a wide range of manufacturer choices and features the catnapper line of furniture that Jackson produces.
Is Catnapper Made in the USA?
Catnapper reclining sofas, produced by Jackson Furniture, is produced in the United States. They produce not only recliners but sectionals and sofas as well. They have six furniture factories across the United States, making them a leading name in the category of reclining furniture.
Is Catnapper Considered a Good Brand?
Since Catnapper furniture is made available through Ashley Furniture home stores, it is widely available to customers throughout the United States. But is it a good brand?
Customers were thrilled with not only the comfort level offered by Catnapper, but the durability as well. They noted that their Catnapper furniture lasted for quite a bit longer than some of the other popular brands on the market today.
How Do You Clean Catnapper Furniture?
Keeping your furniture clean is important both from an aesthetic aspect and from a general maintenance standpoint. Keeping your Catnapper furniture is a relatively easy endeavor but requires a little care.
You can spot clean the upholstery using upholstery shampoo. You will also need the foam from a mild detergent or a mild dry cleaning solvent. Make sure that you don’t saturate the spot with too much liquid. Depending on the fabric, you may have to brush in order to restore the original appearance of the furniture and its fabric.
How Do You Take Apart a Reclining Couch?
There are also a wide variety of reclining couches that have the features of a reclining chair built into a sofa or sectional. There is an array of manufacturers that produce this kind of furniture. Taking the back off of a reclining couch is similar, just with more components.
- Roll up the fabric. Start by rolling the fabric on the back panel of the couch up and out of the way. The fabric will only get in the way of you trying to work, so you may have to secure them before moving on to the next step.
- Find the release tabs. Look for the release tabs that hold the backing in place. When you find them, use a flat-head or slotted screwdriver to release the tabs carefully.
- Pull the chair back out. Now that the brackets have been released, you will be able to pull up on the back of the chair. This should free the backing from the brackets entirely.
- Try lifting from one side. If you are experiencing issues getting one side out, try lifting one side out slightly, then doing so on the other side. You may have to walk each backing up slowly before you are able to remove them entirely.
Ryan Womeldorf has more than a decade of experience writing. He loves to blog about construction, plumbing, and other home topics. Ryan also loves hockey and a lifelong Buffalo sports fan.
More by Ryan Womeldorf