Ossiana Tepfenhart is an expert writer, focusing on interior design and general home tips. Writing is her life, and it's what she does best. Her interests include art and real estate investments.
5 Places That Will Cut Wood For You (Free and Fee-Based Options)
Cutting wood can be difficult and exhausting, especially if you make a costly mistake. Don’t worry, there are people out there that can help you—simply check out these 5 places that will cut your wood for you so you don’t have to stress.
I don’t know about you, but I love being able to get a little bit of convenience when it comes to doing my projects. Convenience, especially when it comes to tedious or repetitive things like wood. Sometimes, it’s less about convenience and more about not owning the right saw. That’s why I was thrilled when I found out that you can find places to cut wood for you.
There are several easy ways to find places that will cut wood for you, or at the very least, make sure that you are able to fit the wood you need into your car. Some of the best places to go if you want to get precut wood include:
- Home Depot
- Ace Hardware
- Local Makerspaces
- Local Woodshops
Getting your wood cut for you seems like kind of a minor issue, but it’s really not. To help you get a better understanding of what you can expect from these store services and why you might want to get it done, keep reading. We’ve got the answers for you.
Table of Contents
- Why Would You Have Someone Else Cut Wood For You?
- Where Can You Get Your Wood Cut For Free?
- Where Can You Get Your Wood Cut For A Fee?
- Related Questions
Why Would You Have Someone Else Cut Wood For You?
There are a bunch of reasons why you might want to employ these services. The most common reason is that you might not be able to fit wood in your car or truck otherwise. However, some people just don’t own the right cutting tools for wood and may not want to saw wood on their own. It also can act as a pretty convenient way to get to the fun parts of DIY.
Where Can You Get Your Wood Cut For Free?
Here’s the important thing to know: not all wood cutting services will be free of charge. In fact, the current trend is to charge people, even if it was a free service before. These venues below still offer free wood cutting, if you ask real nice:
- Home Depot. The jury is still out on this one. Home Depot’s wood cutting services vary from place to place, and many are switching to a fee-based model. However, most stores will cut your wood so that it fits in your car and will also give you a set number of cuts if they have the time to do so.
- Lowe’s. Lowe’s currently is the most generous “big box” store to offer wood cutting services. In most locations, they will do it for free as long as you buy the wood from their store. For the most part, you can get standard cuts as well as some quick miter service done here.
- Ace Hardware. Depending on where you live, you might also be able to get wood cutting service at your local Ace. However, not all locations have this.
- Lumber Yards. Local woodshops are now increasingly offering cutting services as a way to compete with their big-box counterparts.
- Local Hardware Stores. Much like their lumber yard counterparts, many Main Street hardware stores are now going out of their way to tout their wood cutting services to help gain an advantage over their Wall Street counterparts.
Understanding Free Wood Cutting Services
While you can get your wood cut for free, there’s going to be a limit to how many cuts you can get as well as how complex the cuts will be. If you were hoping to find a place that will do that perfect dovetail cut, you’re going to be sorely disappointed. These stores tend to have limits before they charge you.
Most places will have no problem cutting wood so it’ll fit into the cut or adding a miter to a couple of pieces of wood. However, if you need more professional services, you might need to call a handyman to help you out.
Are There Any Conditions You Need To Abide By If You Get Free Wood Cuts?
Along with making sure that you go to a store that offers free wood cuts, there may be certain things you need to be aware of when it comes to company policies.
- You might have a maximum number of freebies you can have. Most stores that offer free cutting services stop at five or 10. If you were hoping to do some unlimited cuts for that house remodel, you’re out of luck.
- It may also be a matter of convenience. If the store is busy, they will most likely turn down requests in order to ensure they can serve others.
- Some cut styles may be out of reach. Don’t expect to get fully lathed, sanded, and prettied up cuts with free services. Most of the time, free services are supposed to be more about being able to fit your lumber in your truck or to just add a quick trim to your two by fours.
- The vast majority of places that offer free wood cutting services will require you to buy the wood there. To be fair, it’s kind of a jerk move to bring wood you bought elsewhere to them, just so you can get it cut for free. It’s a reasonable request, really.
How Good Are Free Wood Cutting Services?
Wood cutting services are generally pretty decent, but they’re not going to be “over the top” good. It’s going to be straight, it’s going to be a clean-cut, but it’s not going to be fancy. You may need to pay a specialist if you want your wood to be specially cut or carved.
Where Can You Get Your Wood Cut For A Fee?
Though it’s possible to find exceptions to the rule, most major hardware stores will charge a nominal fee after you get past a certain point of cutting work. These stores and locations below tend to be open to cutting your wood for a small fee:
- Home Depot. While Home Depot does have a policy that allows them to cut your wood for free if it’s to fit in your car, other cuts are going to cost you. With that said, Home Depot also has a slew of other services like fence installation or plumbing repairs. So if you’re looking for a one-stop-shop, it’s a good place to go.
- Lowe’s. With company policies changing at a breakneck pace, some stores are starting to charge a small fee for wood cuts. This tends to happen most after you reach a certain threshold of cutting. Like Home Depot, you can also get additional services like installations here. It’s not a bad look.
- Local Lumber Yards/Woodshop Stores. Specialty stores that work specifically with wood tend to have cutting services that go beyond the norm. Did you get your lumber from a woodshop store? While many are open to doing freebies, some still charge a fee. If you have a unique cut you need, this is a good choice.
- Local Hardware Stores. Smaller names may need to charge a small fee to keep their business afloat. It’s wild, right?
- Makerspaces. Makerspaces are a unique breed because they generally exist by renting out their tools and worksite to people who want to practice woodworking or create their own projects. However, some will also cut wood for you for a fee. Of course, you can also just go to a makerspace and find a member who will do it for you, if you are open to finagling things.
How Much Should You Expect To Pay For A Wood Cutting Service?
If you have more difficult cuts to make, the amount you pay may be pretty surprising. Home Depot typically charges $0.25 per cut and Lowe’s will charge around $0.50 per cut. (We actually have a whole article on the price of wood cutting services on our site, if you need to get more details.)
Obviously, there are going to be differences from place to place as well as the cut. Some cuts you might want to do, such as a miter or a dovetail, may be barred from being done in major stores. For these cut services, you might need to pay a woodworker to do them for you if you can’t do them yourself. Specialty cuts vary greatly in price, so we can’t really put a tag on it.
Where can I learn how to do DIY projects?
Home Depot, Lowe’s and Jo-Ann Fabrics all have their own in-person DIY classes taught by qualified personnel. If you have a local art school or community college, you can also go there for additional classes.
The good thing about going to a place like Lowe’s for a class is that most of them are free. It’s a way to get people in the door, which means that they’re open to working with newbies to help them learn the ropes.
What is the best tool to cut wood?
The best tool for cutting wood depends on the thickness of the wood, the type of cut that you need to do, as well as other similar factors. In most cases, a hand saw, a power saw, or a jack saw will suffice. If you need to cut wood on a specific angle, a miter saw tends to be the best option.
What is the best wood to work with?
For most DIY projects, getting pine wood seems to be the best choice. It’s sturdy and strong enough to make furniture with, but at the same time, it’s easy to cut. Pine also takes to wood stain pretty well. If you can’t get pine, oak or cherry can both be equally good.
Honeywell has been manufacturing thermostats for decades, and it shouldn't come as any surprise that the older models are different from the ones that are being made today. Despite their differences,...
Jersey City is a waterfront city in northeast New Jersey. It boasts views of the Manhattan skyline, and is most famous for its waterfront and banking and finance centers. It is part of the New York...