Kenmore Side-By-Side Refrigerator Leaking Water? (Fix It Now!)
If you’re a proud owner of a Kenmore refrigerator, then you already know why their side-by-side refrigerators are so popular. They’re immensely versatile and durable. Many even have special water dispensers built into the systems. Unfortunately, things get dicey when the fridge you own starts to leak water. If you had this issue, you’re definitely not alone.
There are several reasons why you might see water leaking out of your Kenmore model. If you notice water in places it shouldn’t be, check these issues to figure out a fix:
- Ice Falling Out Of The Fridge
- Dispenser Leaks
- Clogged Freezer Defrost Tubes
- A Hole In The Drain Pan
For the most part, you shouldn’t ever have to worry about a Kenmore fridge leaking. They’re sturdy AF. But, if you find a pool of water on the ground, you probably should check out what’s going on…
Before You Begin: Make Sure It’s A Legit Leak
The first thing you need to do is figure out whether or not you actually have a leak. The first thing you need to do is look at the source of your leak. Sometimes, ice will fall out of the dispenser and you might not notice it falling. When this happens, you usually will see a puddle on the floor long after it’s melted.
Before you panic, check to see if the puddle is actually coming from the refrigerator. If it isn’t, then you just need to make sure the ice dispenser isn’t letting stuff fall out when you make yourself a glass of water.
Troubleshooting Your Kenmore Side-by-Side Fridge: The Basics
So, now that you’re sure that it’s a leak, it’s time to do some troubleshooting. Here’s what you need to do in order to get your fridge diagnosed and fixed…
- Start off by looking at the dispenser. In many cases, ice ends up getting clogged in the dispenser, causing a slow drip down the side of the fridge. Pour hot water in the drain line to push any ice that’s clogging the dispenser to fall through. This may stop leaks.
- Then look at the waterline on your water dispenser. Sometimes, the bearings can get loose, causing a leak. Other times, the line gets frayed and destroyed. If you notice looseness, tighten the bearings. Should you notice a hole in the waterline, you will need to replace it. You will need to buy a new line, remove the old one, and screw in the new one.
- After that, open up your fridge and locate the defrost drain. The defrost drain is inside your freezer compartment, and if it’s clogged with ice, then check to see if it looks stuck. If it does, pour hot water and baking soda down the defrost drain until you hear the sound of running water.
- Clear frost around the drain with a warm, damp towel. Don’t use a paper towel, because this can get stuck to the machine. This will help clear out your defrost drain. Once it’s done, you can replace the plastic cover on the drain.
- Take some time to see if there is still water pooling around your fridge. If there isn’t, the basic fixes were enough to ensure that you’re good to go.
Troubleshooting Your Kenmore Side-by-Side Fridge: More Advanced Issues
Most of the time, clearing everything around the water dispenser and defrost drain will be enough to stop the leaks. However, it doesn’t always work out as well as one would hope. Sometimes, it’s the drain pan—the thing that catches all the water draining from the fridge. If you’re having a hard time with your leak, follow these steps.
- Take out all the perishable foods from your fridge and freezer. Put them in a cooler or another fridge for safekeeping. Don’t skip this unless you’re okay with losing your food. Even cilantro can’t last for long without refrigeration.
- Unplug the fridge, and (depending on your model) turn it so that the back of the fridge is exposed. You are going to have to refer to your owner’s manual to figure out how to remove the drain pan.
- Gently grab the toe of your fridge and pull out the drain pan. Try not to break it, as drain pans can be pretty fragile if they’re corroded.
- Check to see if the drain pan is overflowing. If it is, drain it out in the sink (if you can) and replace it. To ensure your food’s freshness, try to find a better long-term storage unit while you’re fixing your fridge.
- If the drain pan is broken, cracked, or chipped, call GE and get a replacement. This is very rarely the case, but it can still happen as a result of bad manufacturing.
Are Leaks Covered By Kenmore’s Warranty Program?
Kenmore is a company that works hard to stand by its products. That’s what makes their refrigerator warranties so strong. Along with a limited warranty that can last for a number of years, each Kenmore fridge also comes with a full warranty for two years after the date of purchase. The full warranty states that you can expect to get your appliance repaired or replaced regardless of the issue for the first two years.
Even when the two years are up, it’s very likely that leaks will still be covered underneath the limited long-term warranty that comes afterward. If you have an additional third-party warranty, you can also refer to their warranty agreement to find out what you can and cannot have covered.
How Much Does It Cost To Repair A Leaky Refrigerator?
Great question! Like most other things in this article, it all hinges on what the problem is. Most leaks can be fixed through a thorough cleaning or at least a defrosting session. However, if you are dealing with a part that needs to be replaced, there will be prices you need to cover.
The refrigerator parts that you need in order to fix a leak are fairly cheap, ranging from $10 for a new water line to $30 for a new drain pan. If you want to get a professional to fix your fridge’s leak, it can be free (if under warranty) or upwards of $150.
How Bad Is A Leaky Refrigerator?
Honestly, it’s usually not that bad for the fridge itself. Unless your drain pan is cracked, most refrigerator leaks are fairly basic and easy to fix. It just means you need to maintain your fridge better or get a little defrosting to happen. The bigger issue is what happens if you end up choosing to ignore the watery elephant in the room.
A leak is one of those things that needs to be treated quickly, especially if you live in an area that’s prone to mold. After all, water that’s left to stay stagnant for a while will cause the growth of mold. This is especially true if you have wooden floors or live in an area that is known for mold. Homeowners’ insurance won’t cover mold damage from a leaky fridge.
The bottom line? While it is not a warning sign that your Kenmore fridge is about to die, you still should get to fixing it. Otherwise, the other things around your fridge won’t look too good.
What is the average lifespan of a Kenmore refrigerator?
The average lifespan of a Kenmore refrigerator depends on the specific model as well as the level of care you give it. With proper maintenance, a typical low-end Kenmore fridge will last around 10 to 12 years. If you choose to get a high-performance fridge from this brand, you can expect it to last from 15 to 20 years on average.If you are not sure how long you should expect to have your fridge last, read up on the top models for the reliability of your model year. You will be able to make a more educated selection that way.
What is the difference between Kenmore and Kenmore Elite?
Honestly, not much. The two brands are basically different sides of the same coin. Kenmore is considered to be the “basic” series of refrigerators, though they are still fairly upscale compared to other brands. Kenmore Elite was made to highlight the top tier of appliances under the Kenmore umbrella.If you want to have a more stylish refrigerator or just want a light guarantee of better reliability, then go for Kenmore Elite. Otherwise, you’re fine with just a Kenmore.
Who owns Kenmore?
The ownership and distributorship of Kenmore is actually kind of hard to pin down compared to most other appliance groups. This is primarily because many of the parts are white-labeled by other companies. With that said, the owners of Kenmore have featured the label for well over a century.Most people are shocked to find out that Kenmore is a brand that is entirely exclusive to Sears. In fact, it was made for Sears. Though Sears owns the brand, the actual machines themselves are manufactured by the same companies that produce LG, Whirlpool, and Panasonic appliances.
Ossiana Tepfenhart is an expert writer, focusing on interior design and general home tips. Writing is her life, and it's what she does best. Her interests include art and real estate investments.
More by Ossiana Tepfenhart