Kayla is a full-time content creator and her passion is everything green. When she's not writing city-based content at UpgradedHome, her focus is on the environment and sustainability. Kayla loves to travel and is always looking forward to her next vacation!
Is Rocky Mount, North Carolina A Good Place To Live?
North Carolina is a beautiful state to live in; if you’re curious about places to live, we’ve done some research for you. We have focused on Rocky Mount and all it has to offer. It is an up-and-coming town that has opened tons of breweries and restaurants over the past few years. It is located in Edgecombe and Nash counties. It is a super convenient place to live that is on the highway of I95 and HWY 64. These highways can take you anywhere you want.
Overall if you’re looking for a fun place to live full of friendly neighbors, this is the town for you. It’s great for young professionals looking to start a company, smaller families who want to grow, and an awesome place for people to retire. No matter who you are, you will find something to love about this place. The few downfalls are things like weather, crime, and high utility bills.
If you have been meaning to do more research on cities in North Carolina, look no further. This guide will help you understand all of the pros and cons of living in Rocky Mount. You will notice the community is very friendly with good manners. You will feel right at home living in this area and feel welcomed the minute you move. Though the houses may seem expensive, they are much more affordable than in other areas.
Table of Contents
- Why Is Rocky Mount A Good Place To Live?
- What Are The Pitfalls In Rocky Mount?
- What Is The Cost Of Living In Rocky Mount?
- Related Questions
Why Is Rocky Mount A Good Place To Live?
There are many wonderful things about living in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. It is full of tight-knit communities that will welcome you with open arms and friendly people. There are more reasons than that people choose to live here; keep reading to find out what makes this place so unique compared to other American cities.
Reasonable Living Costs
Though some expenses are higher in this area, overall, the cost of living in Rocky Mount is 13% below the national average. You will be able to afford most things in life and live comfortably. The median home price in Rocky Mount is $105,200. This price is 38% below the national average, making it one of the most affordable places to live. Other things will also be well below the national average, making it an incredibly attractive place to settle down or retire. Living on a budget will not be hard in this area.
A Scenic Experience
Rocky Mount, North Carolina, is surrounded by nature and wildlife. You will find many parks that are picture-perfect and Wilson lake that is close by. There are tons of trails you can walk on and capture photos of the unique wildlife in North Carolina or enjoy a picnic with a scenic view. The town itself is also beautiful. You can hit the streets to admire the architecture, and thanks to all of the local stores it’s easy to window shop. This is truly one of the best places to live if you like small towns with lots of charm.
Low Crime Rates
Although the crime rates are higher in this area than in other places in North Carolina, it is still much better than 7% of US cities. The chance of becoming a victim of any crime is 1 in 27. This can leave people feeling uncomfortable, but in many reviews you will find that most people are not affected by the crime.
There are some safer neighborhoods on the outskirts of the city that are safer. If you live in any city, you will have to stay aware of your surroundings at all times. The best news about living in Rocky Mount is that the police force is very responsive and will try to be as fast as possible in emergency situations.
Loads Of Recreation
There are so many activities you can enjoy in this area. Rocky Mount is a great city for people who love the outdoors. You can hit Lake Wilson and enjoy water activities like swimming or kayaking. There is a barbecue park where you can go throw family parties and sit down for a nice picnic.
If you are more of an indoor person, there is a very nice skating rink where you can take your family. There is also an arcade you can send the older kids to and movie theaters for rainy days. If you are single and want to experience nighttime activities, there are tons of breweries and clubs.
Though the unemployment rate is higher than the national average, there are tons of jobs open and available. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the unemployment rate for March 2021 was 6.3%. This is higher than the national average of 4.7%, but as jobs increase and places open, the unemployment rate becomes lower.
You should not worry about getting a stable job if you are in one of the bigger industries. If you work in agriculture, textiles, and technology are all huge industries that are booming in this area. The median household income of Rocky Mount is $35,918 per year. This leaves a lot of room to live comfortably for renters and buyers.
What Are The Pitfalls In Rocky Mount?
With any city, you will notice the area has some major pitfalls that are noticeable for many people. There are some pretty apparent problems in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. However, keep in mind that the good outweighs the bad in this area. Most of these downfalls may not even apply to you or affect you at all.
- The violent crime rate tends to be higher here. The chance of becoming a victim of violent crime is 1 in 124. This is not a terrible outcome, but you should know that it does happen to certain people. The violent crime rate is 108% above the national average, which can be very intimidating if you have never lived in a city before.
- Utilities are expensive in this area. You will notice that the utilities are a higher cost than the national average, which can cost the overall price of living in the area. You will need to budget in more money to ensure you have enough to pay the bills are the end or beginning of the month. It is one of the biggest complaints in the area.
- Though the winters tend to be shorter than average, they are bitter. On the other hand, the summers can be incredibly hot. You will have to learn to dress appropriately during the winters because they can get extremely brutal. This is one of the biggest pitfalls that most people are not aware of when they first move to the area.
- The poverty rate is higher in this area. You will see a lot more people who are hungry and poor in this area. This can be very sad to see and affect your mental health. The poverty rate is 19.2% and has been slowly climbing. You may even see more homeless people because they cannot afford rent or food. The good news is, that there are tons of volunteers throughout the community who help provide food and try to set up shelters. You can easily join these groups.
- The schools are rated below average in this area. The schools are underfunded and need a lot of help. The good news about the schools in this area is that parents can raise money and volunteer at the school to make a difference. There is a lot of room for change.
What Is The Cost Of Living In Rocky Mount?
You will find that in Rocky Mount, things are affordable. You can easily live on a budget and afford everyday life while still being able to afford the nice things in life. There are excellent neighborhoods to raise a family or retire. Many people choose this area for the practicality and affordability. Here is the inside scoop on how much it will actually cost to live here.
- The median home price in Rocky Mount is $105,200. You will find that 51% of people choose to buy in this area and only 49% choose to rent. If you decide that renting is the best option for you expect to pay between $715-$793 per month.
- Food and groceries in this area are slightly below average ranking, 93.4. This score is out of a national average of 100 according to the cost of living index.
- Utilities are higher than the national average, while transportation is much lower. You will see that utilities are ranked at 102.4, while transportation is ranked at 73.9.
- Healthcare is also more expensive than the national average. Healthcare is ranked at 104.3 out of 100.
What are good places to live near Rocky Mount?
If you are looking for safer areas to live in with your family check out, West Haven, Mill Village, Falls Road, and Candlewood. Many of these neighborhoods have historic homes that are very beautiful to look at.
Is the crime rate in Rocky Mount increasing?
Unfortunately, over the last few years in Rocky Mount, the crime rate has increased. The area has seen an increase of 3%. The good news is that the police force is very active and responsive.
What are the main industries in Rocky Mount?
If you are worried about finding a job, you shouldn’t be! There are a few main industries to look at: agriculture, technology, and textiles.
More Related Guides
- What Are The 10 Biggest Cities In North Carolina?
- Is Gastonia, NC A Good Place To Live?
- What Are The Pros And Cons Of Living In Cary, NC?
After finishing the construction of your new staircase, you may suddenly find that it’s missing something. Without a railing, a staircase can look unsafe to use especially if you have children or...
The cockroach may very well be the pest that most people want nothing to do with. They are troublesome home invaders that can spread disease, ruin food, and destroy clothing. Cockroaches also excel...